Jesse Young is a member of Sommers Schwartz's Complex Litigation Group, wherein he manages the day-to-day operations of the firm's national Wage & Hour practice.
Jesse's practice primarily focuses on the litigation of collective and individual wage and hour claims arising under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and similar state laws. Specifically, he represents individuals who have experienced wage theft by their employer, including but not limited to the non-payment of minimum wages and/or overtime, misclassification of employees, "off the clock" work, meal breaks, donning and doffing of work equipment, recordkeeping, and other issues peculiar to a wide variety of industries.
While Jesse's practice now focuses primarily on federal and state wage and hour claims, he also has employment law experience representing employees in need of help with severance negotiations, discrimination, and retaliation. Additionally, Jesse has experience representing persons and businesses experiencing contractual disputes and/or business torts.
Jesse has briefed and argued cases in Michigan state courts, the Michigan Court of Appeals, numerous U.S. District Courts, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Cum Laude, Lansing, Michigan, JD
- Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Residential Builders License, State of Michigan No. 2101171400
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- Pro hac vice admissions in various state and federal district courts, including the State of Kentucky and U.S. District Courts in the Northern District of Alabama, Northern District of California, Northern District of Georgia, Northern District of Illinois, Minnesota, Southern District of Mississippi, Eastern District of Missouri, Western District of North Carolina, New Jersey, Nevada, Northern District of Ohio, Eastern District of Tennessee, and Western District of Washington
Areas of Practice