Matthew Turner is a senior shareholder with Sommers Schwartz, and focuses his practice on medical malpractice, legal malpractice, ERISA, and class action matters.
Fighting for and protecting the rights of his clients is the most important part of Matt’s profession. During law school, he was a law clerk for Oakland County Circuit Court Judge Richard Kuhn, and after graduation, he joined his family’s law firm – Turner & Turner, P.C. where he litigated a broad range of matters involving business disputes, employment discrimination, dental malpractice, auto accident, slip and fall, and significant cases of death and catastrophic loss.
Matt has appeared before the United States Supreme Court, and prevailed in a 9-0 decision establishing precedent that has been followed throughout the country. He has argued a number of appeals before the Michigan Supreme Court, the United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Michigan Court of Appeals. At the trial level, he obtained a verdict in excess of $1 million dollars in a medical malpractice case, and has secured a number of other highly successful trial verdicts and settlements.
In addition to his legal career, Matt has been a varsity high school football coach for over 20 years. In 2002, the Michigan High School Football Coaches Association named him an Assistant Coach of the Year. He currently serves as the offensive line coach and offensive coordinator at Birmingham Groves High School.
- Detroit College of Law, Juris Doctor, summa cum laude
- Detroit College of Law Class of 1961 Cup
- Detroit College of Law William B. Giles Award
- American Jurisprudence Award- Torts
- American Jurisprudence Award-Legal Profession
- Ohio State University, Bachelor of Science
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
Areas of Practice