Teacher, leader and advocate
Trenton represents clients in employment and class actions matters. Prior to attending law school, Trenton was a student at the Maastricht University, in the Netherlands, where he earned an LL.M. in Globalization and Law. During his time at Maastricht University, Trenton was a Dutch National Semi-Finalist in the International Client Counseling Competition. He also earned his Juris Doctorate from the University of San Diego School of Law, where he was the Senior Editor of the San Diego Journal of Climate and Energy Law, an Honor Court Justice, and President of the VICAM (Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot) team.
Trenton was recently brought on to the Sommers Schwartz team, where he will continue to represent consumers who have been subjected to unfair business practices. Among the aspects of his class action practice that he most appreciates is working with diverse, interesting, and complex legal issues while helping workers and consumers. Prior to joining Sommers Schwartz, Trenton worked for a boutique law firm in San Diego, California.
In addition to practicing law, Trenton teaches at the University of San Diego’s School of Law. In his spare time, Trenton enjoys cooking, traveling, hiking and backpacking.
- Hansen, et al. v. Newegg.com Americas, Inc., Case No. B271477 (Cal. App. 2018), which addressed UCL and FAL standing in a case involving false advertising of a product’s former price (or the amount by which the product price had been reduced or discounted)before the California Court of Appeal. The resulting decision ensures that consumers who were deceived by false discounts can sue under California’s consumer protection laws.
- Named Class Counsel large consumer class actions, including Krinsk, et al. v. Monster Beverage Corp., No. 37-2014-00020192 (Cal. Sup.) and Clay v. Cytosport Inc., No. 3:15-cv-00165-L-AGS (S.D. Cal.).
- Achieved a number of settlements on behalf California employees, including Glass, et al. v. FMMEnterprises, Inc., et al, Case No. 37-2017-00031250 (Cal. Sup.) and Terradoet al. v. Accredited Debt Relief LLC et al., Case No. 37-2018-00014181 (Cal. Sup.).
- Secured a RICO judgement to stop unfair and predatory loans against veterans and service members, Underwood v. Future Income Payments, LLC, Case No 8:17-cv-01570-DOC-DFM(C.D. Cal)
- Adjunct Professor, University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego, California. I coach the USD Vis Moot Competition Team and am responsible for training students in oral advocacy and brief writing, and organizing the USD Pre-moots and MCLEs. I also instruct students in the application of arbitral law/rules, such as the New York Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards, UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules, and UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration.
- State Bar of California
- American Association for Justice – Wage & Hour Litigation Group, Class Action Litigation Group
- Public Justice
- University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego, California, Juris Doctor
- Senior Editor, San Diego Journal of Climate and Energy Law
- Honor Court Justice, Student Bar Association Mentor
- President Vis Moot Team
- CALI Award (highest marks) in Agency, Partnership & the LLC,Climate Change Law & Policy, and Anti-trust
- Law Student Leader Scholarship
- 2013 USD Enhancement Award
- Thesis: “Unilateral International Regulation of Aviation Emissions: EU ETS”
- University of Maastricht, Maastricht, the Netherlands, LL.M
- Globalization and Law
- Concentration in Comparative Law, International Dispute Settlement, WTO Law
- International Client Counseling Competition -Dutch National Semi-Finalist
- San Diego State University, San Diego, California – Dean’s List
- B.S., Criminal Justice Administration, cum laude, 2009
- Minor in International Security and Conflict Resolution
- Thesis: “Policy Analysis of San Diego’s Prohibition of Alcohol on City Beaches: One Year Later.
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the NorthDistrict of California
- U.S. District Court for the Centra lDistrict of California
- U.S. District Court for the South District of California