One of Michigan’s leading medical malpractice attorneys
Judith (Judy) Susskind is one of Michigan’s foremost medical malpractice and personal injury trial attorneys who has, for over 30-years, successfully handled various medical malpractice cases and obtaining favorable outcomes for her clients and their families. She is noted for a record-breaking three medical malpractice trials in less than 11 weeks and was also named “Lawyer of the Year” for being the “winning-est” plaintiff’s attorney in the State.
Judy has graced the list of Michigan Super Lawyers continuously since 2006 and Best Lawyers named her “Lawyer of the Year” for medical malpractice in Detroit in 2015 and 2017.
She had been inducted in the American Board of Trial Advocates and the American College of Trial Lawyers. Both organizations are noted for the high caliber and outstanding talent of their members and are very selective, only inviting the best trial lawyers, and those who practice with integrity to join.
Never one to sit still, Judy gives back to her profession and the community by sitting on the Executive Board of the Michigan Association for Justice and has served as their president for two years. She is also a member of the Michigan Civil Jury Instruction Committee, the Macomb County Bar Association the Oakland County Bar Association and the Oakland County Bar Foundation. She serves as a plaintiff specialty panel member for case evaluations in medical malpractice matters in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb County Circuit Courts.
In her spare time Judy is a competitive ballroom dancer. In her words, she loves this hobby, “as it allows me to escape my world and become someone else. It is incredibly physically demanding, and far more difficult than it looks. It provides a wonderful challenge, and helps to keep me fit.” Judy stays physically active and can be seen at the gym at least 4-5 days a week. Being a trial lawyer is demanding, both physically and intellectually.
She also loves to cook, entertain, garden and enjoy the outdoors.
For more than 15 years, I have had the honor to co-moderate the annual MAJ Medical Malpractice Seminar. It addresses the latest hot topics and issues in the are of medical malpractice law. This helps me to ensure that I am up-to-date with the latest and best techniques, methods and legal arguments to seek justice for my clients.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Negligence Law Section – Chairperson (2003-04)
- Insurance & Indemnity Law Section
- Master Lawyers Section
- Judicial Qualification Committee
- Committee on Model Civil Jury Instructions
- Michigan Association for Justice
- Executive Board (2001 to present)
- President (2008-09)
- American Association for Justice
- American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Officer, Michigan Chapter
- Macomb County Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- American Inns of Court
- Master of the Bench
- Wayne State University Law School, Juris Doctor (JD), 1987
- Michigan State University, Bachelor of Arts (BA), 1983
- U.S District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals