Clients say it best

I couldn’t have asked for better representation and counsel...

Attorney
Referrals

We can tackle some of the most complex matters in the litigation world.

Results

Year after year, our team delivers unmatched results for our clients.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Lawyers in Detroit & Southfield Michigan

Carbon Monoxide Dangers in Apartments

Carbon monoxide — also called the silent killer — is a gas that emanates from any motor that burns carbon fuels and has no odor and no color; thus, its inability to easily be detected. People who are exposed to enough carbon monoxide in an enclosed space can easily suffer serious injuries and even death. This danger is very prevalent in apartment complexes and condominiums, which tend to be smaller than many houses, allowing less amounts of the gas to be dangerous and deadly.

5 Facts About Carbon Monoxide:

1. Anything that uses combustion fumes emits carbon monoxide, such as vehicles, small gasoline engines, burning charcoal or wood, stoves, some water heaters and heating systems. The gas is a byproduct of the combustion that must be safely vented.

2. When carbon monoxide is inhaled, the gas binds to hemoglobin in red blood cells and prevents the cells from carrying oxygen. The more exposure to the gas a person experiences the more the cells fill with carbon monoxide, which could easily kill a person in a short period of time.

3. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are the following:

  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Chest pains
  • Confusion

4. If there is carbon monoxide poisoning, the first and most important thing to do is to get outside where there is fresh air. The second thing to do is to seek medical treatment immediately.

5. To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, every home, apartment, and any place where people sleep should have a carbon monoxide detector. Also, having adequate ventilation in a living space can prevent injury or even death.

Carbon Monoxide Statistics:

  • Every year, approximately 50,000 people require medical treatment from carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Last year, 430 people died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • 36 percent of those deaths occurred in December, January and February.
  • Accidental, non-fire related poisoning accounts for over $1.3 billion annually in societal costs.
  • Only about half of the states require landlords to install carbon monoxide detectors.

Public Housing and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) helps millions of America’s working poor afford housing. There are over two million people currently living in publicly subsidized housing. Forty percent of public housing units are housed with someone who is 65 years old or older, and of those, 88 percent of them live alone. There, carbon monoxide poisoning is an issue.

There has been a growing concern about carbon monoxide poisoning in subsidized housing. Since 2003, 13 deaths caused by carbon monoxide poisoning occurred in HUD-subsidized housing. The problem is that HUD does not require owners of apartment complexes to install carbon monoxide detectors in apartments subsidized by HUD.

Only recently HUD announced that it will begin requiring federal inspectors to check public housing apartments for carbon monoxide detectors — but the agency will not penalize landlords for broken or missing detectors. Under the new requirements, which took effect April 1, 2019, federal inspectors must check for the detectors in any public housing units that contain fuel-fired appliances or have an attached garage and determine if they are working.

Landlord Liability

Landlords can be held responsible for carbon monoxide poisoning and deaths. If the landlord was negligent in maintaining a furnace, pipes or other combustible devices, and that failure caused carbon monoxide to invade an apartment, then the landlord can be held responsible for the injuries and damages that happened. Further, if state or local laws require every apartment to have a working carbon monoxide detector and the landlord fails to supply one, then the landlord can again be held responsible for injuries.

The state of Michigan has passed laws that require carbon monoxide detectors in multi-family buildings and apartment complexes.

Personal injury lawsuits frequently pit David against Goliath – the victim against a large company. That is why you need Sommers Schwartz on your side. During the past 45 years, our attorneys have recovered millions of dollars for our clients – a testament to their skills, zealousness and commitment to the rule of law. Trust Sommers Schwartz to deliver fair and just results for you. Contact us today.

A Trusted Authority

Our attorneys have been featured on local and national media outlets, including:

sommers-media-compressor

A Client Talks about Andy Dragovic

My wife had an accident, tripping over a cable line that wasn’t buried. Andy represented us and were very pleased with the outcome. Andy was very professional, personable, and quick to respond to us, answering any of our questions or concerns. The whole firm was responsive to our concerns, and…

Praise for Dina Zalewski

The lawyers at Sommers Schwartz, P.C. were nothing short of amazing when I came to them with my medical malpractice case! Dina truly helped to put my mind at ease and because of her and her firm, I finally have closure and can begin my healing process! I just want…

Gratitude for Rob Sickels

When our world was shattered by an unexpected medical diagnosis, we were referred to Rob Sickels of Sommers Schwartz. What a blessing to get this referral as Rob listened to us with caring and compassion, spent all the time necessary to help us, was always honest with us about our…

A Grateful Client Talks About Dina Zalewski

Dina never lied to us and was very straightforward. I feel like she took me under her wing. She got me through something that I thought was going to be incredibly difficult for me to relive. Dina felt like a friend, somebody I could trust and look to for guidance….

About Dina Zaleski, Rick Groffsky, and Andy Dragovic

Dina, Rick, and Andy were amazing lawyers. They helped me through an incredibly difficult time in my life after losing my son. I wanted answers on why, and they helped me through the whole process and they got me answers. After I lost my son, I was severely depressed. Every…

A Medical Malpractice Client Recommends Matt Turner

Matt Turner and his whole staff have acted very professionally, respectfully, and responsively to my every need. I highly recommend him to represent you in any legal matter you may have. Thank you again for all your help and guidance.

We are so thankful this firm was recommended to us!

Robert Sickels and his whole team went above and beyond while caring for us, They truly go the extra mile.

After our first meeting with attorney Matt Curtis, our feelings of frustration, defeat, and helplessness were diminished.

Matt’s knowledge of the law concerning medical malpractice and his compassion for my husband’s situation gave us the boost we needed to stand up and be heard! I am so grateful that my husband felt validated and energized throughout his time meeting with Mr. Curtis because, in February of 2021, he…

Our Clients Say It Best

googlereviews
40 5-star reviews on Google