A career dedicated to people harmed by others’ negligence
Ramona Howard focuses her practice with Sommers Schwartz on appeals. As part of her appellate work, Ramona prepares and argues cases before various State and Federal Appellate Courts.
Ramona was born and raised in the Metro Detroit area. A Tartar (now a Warrior) through and through, she earned both her undergraduate and law degrees from Wayne State University.After earning her Juris Doctor, she began her legal career working for a small personal injury firm, and it was there that she cultivated her interest in medical malpractice litigation.With the exception of a year spent working in the Pre-Hearing division of the Michigan Court of Appeals, Ramona has dedicated her entire legal career representing clients with medical malpractice and personal injury claims at both the trial and at the appellate levels.
Ramona understands that one of her main jobs as an appellate attorney is actually keeping clients out of appellate courts. Because of this, she spends a significant amount of time briefing and, when necessary, arguing key legal issues before the trial court.
When not in court or working on a briefing or case on appeal, Ramona loves to read, paint and draw.
- Presentation: “Defense Tactics and the Affordable Care Act: Combating Defense Tactics Seeking to Limit Future Medicals as Seen in Birth Trauma Cases,” American Association for Justice (Webinar), May 2014
- State Bar of Michigan
- Michigan Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice – Amicus Committee
- Wayne State University Law School, Juris Doctor, magna cum laude
- Assistant Editor Wayne Law Review
- Production Editor Wayne Law Review
- Member of the Order of the Coif
- Wayne State University, Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, summa cum laude
- Member of the Golden Key National Honor Society
- Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals