Wayne County Back Injury From Car Accident Lawyer
Sustaining a back injury in a car accident can drastically change your life. Even a seemingly minor back injury can have debilitating long-term effects. Accident victims who sustain back injuries due to another driver’s negligence may receive compensation for their damages. The Wayne County, Michigan, injury attorneys of Sommers Schwartz, PC, understand how serious back injuries can be and get accident victims the compensation and help they deserve.
Wayne County Accident Statistics
Wayne County is the most populated county in Michigan. Heavy Detroit traffic contributes to it having the highest overall vehicle accident rate in the state. According to the Michigan State Police, Wayne County recorded 44,017 vehicle accidents in 2020. Of those, 234 involved fatalities, and 10,561 resulted in injuries. Wayne County also had the highest number of motorcycle, truck, pedestrian, bicycle, and alcohol-related vehicle accidents.
Common Back Injuries From Car Accidents
Back injuries are some of the most common injuries caused by vehicle accidents. This broad category of injuries includes several specific conditions with different symptoms. But all back injuries have the potential to cause pain and disability.
The human spine has three distinct areas:
- Cervical spine (vertebrae and soft tissues of the neck).
- Thoracic spine (vertebrae and soft tissues of the upper back).
- Lumbar spine (vertebrae and soft tissues of the lower back).
Besides the spinal cord and vertebrae, the back contains discs, muscles, tendons, ligaments, and nerves.
Some of the most common back injuries related to vehicle collisions include:
- Whiplash – One of the most common injuries from car accidents is whiplash. It occurs when the neck and upper back snap backward and forward forcefully following an impact. The sudden jerking motion can strain, tear, or bruise soft tissues like muscles and ligaments in the cervical spine.
- Herniated discs – Discs are spongy, fluid-filled cartilage cushions between each vertebra. They can slip out of place, break, rupture, or bulge. Herniated or slipped discs can cause intense jolts of pain in the back, along with radiating pain, weakness, and numbness in the legs.
- Bone fractures – Several types of fractures can affect the vertebrae, including flexion, extension, rotation, and compression fractures. Flexion fractures occur when the front of the bone breaks and loses height, but the back remains stable. Extension fractures are prevalent in head-on crashes and happen when the bones pull apart. Rotation fractures occur when the bone bends to the point of breaking. Compression fractures are tiny cracks in the bones. Any fracture causes pain. Depending on the affected bones, vertebral fractures can cause other problems like difficulty breathing or standing.
- Sprains and Strains – The soft tissues of the back are susceptible to strains and sprains after an accident. Muscles, tendons, and ligaments can stretch and be damaged, causing pain and potentially affecting mobility.
- Spinal Cord Damage – Injuries to the spinal cord are the most serious because they can result in total or partial paralysis. These injuries also may result in loss of function, numbness, and loss of feeling; they can also contribute to devastating health problems in other body systems.
Treatment for Back Injuries
The true extent of a back injury might not be apparent immediately after an accident. Some injuries take time to develop, while the stress hormones that flood the body after an accident can mask the existence of others. It is important to have a medical professional perform a thorough check for injuries, even if you feel your condition is not serious. Early diagnosis and proper treatment are essential for managing pain and making a complete recovery from a back injury.
Treatment for back injuries varies depending on severity, location, and type. A short-term treatment plan might be appropriate in some cases, while other back injuries require lifetime care. Types of treatment include:
- Physical therapy.
- Chiropractic care.
- Prescription medications.
- Casts and braces.
Damages for Back Injuries
A back injury can leave you unable to work and in pain. As bills add up and expensive medical treatments loom, it may be challenging to take the time off needed to heal from your injuries fully. This can cause long-term, chronic pain and incomplete recovery of mobility and strength. There are many costs associated with a back injury beyond the immediate cost of medical care and time off from work. For this reason, plaintiffs can recover two kinds of damages in car accident injury cases.
- Economic damages are those with a precise dollar value, including medical bills and lost wages and benefits, as well as additional expenses for travel, childcare, and other issues related to your treatment.
- Non-economic damages, like pain and suffering and loss of consortium, are harder to quantify. Although they may not have an obvious price, recovering for these damages is vital to being fully compensated after an accident.
An attorney can value your back injury claim accurately and fairly. Never accept a settlement offer from an insurance company without first speaking to a lawyer. Insurance companies will pay as little as possible to resolve your claim. If you do not know the total worth of your case, you might accept far less money than you deserve. An experienced attorney will negotiate on your behalf for the actual value of your damages.
Contact a Wayne County Car Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has suffered a back injury from a car accident, contact an experienced Michigan injury attorney. The accident attorneys of Sommers Schwartz are among Michigan’s best and most successful. We take pride in helping accident victims and their families recover from the life-changing injuries they have sustained. We hold negligent drivers accountable and help you get the compensation you deserve after an accident.
To speak with a Sommers Schwartz attorney about recovering damages after a Michigan vehicle accident, call 800-783-0989 for a free consultation.
We fight hard. And we win.
Comments about Matthew Curtis from an Appreciative Client
Your efforts have changed my life, Matt. I’m forever grateful. My wife has tons of upcoming medical expenses, and we had both been working hard to make ends meet. I can’t thank you and your staff enough.
Praise for Lisa Esser-Weidenfeller and Matthew Curtis
I am writing to express my sincere gratitude for your hard work and dedication in handling my case. I appreciate your professionalism, your compassion, and your perseverance throughout this challenging process. You have gone above and beyond to protect my rights, to defend my interests, and to secure a favorable…
Praise for Wage & Overtime Pay Attorney Jesse Young
Jesse Young worked an employment case for me that ended with almost 700 people getting their unpaid wages back. He and his team are incredible. From the first communication to the last, they never missed a single beat – consistent and clear communication, quickly replying to my communication, and always making…
A Client Talks about Andy Dragovic
My wife had an accident, tripping over a cable line that wasn’t buried. Andy represented us and were very pleased with the outcome. Andy was very professional, personable, and quick to respond to us, answering any of our questions or concerns. The whole firm was responsive to our concerns, and…
Praise for Dina Zalewski
The lawyers at Sommers Schwartz, P.C. were nothing short of amazing when I came to them with my medical malpractice case! Dina truly helped to put my mind at ease and because of her and her firm, I finally have closure and can begin my healing process! I just want…
Gratitude for Rob Sickels
When our world was shattered by an unexpected medical diagnosis, we were referred to Rob Sickels of Sommers Schwartz. What a blessing to get this referral as Rob listened to us with caring and compassion, spent all the time necessary to help us, was always honest with us about our…
A Grateful Client Talks About Dina Zalewski
Dina never lied to us and was very straightforward. I feel like she took me under her wing. She got me through something that I thought was going to be incredibly difficult for me to relive. Dina felt like a friend, somebody I could trust and look to for guidance….
About Dina Zaleski, Rick Groffsky, and Andy Dragovic
Dina, Rick, and Andy were amazing lawyers. They helped me through an incredibly difficult time in my life after losing my son. I wanted answers on why, and they helped me through the whole process and they got me answers. After I lost my son, I was severely depressed. Every…