An Extraordinary Place to Work
Over the course of our more than 40-year history, Sommers Schwartz has earned a reputation as a leader in high stakes, complex contingency-based litigation. We are proud of what we’ve achieved, and we’re always on the lookout for new people who will add to our continuing success.
Sommers Schwartz is driven by its commitment to a core plaintiff litigation practice – Medical Malpractice, Birth Injury, Personal Injury, Class Actions, Employment Disputes, and Commercial & Business Disputes – and continues to explore related areas that align with the firm’s established brand and practice mix.
Current Opportunity: Medical Malpractice Paralegal
Sommers Schwartz is seeking an experienced paralegal to work on our medical malpractice litigation team in the firm’s Southfield, Michigan office.
In this regular, full-time, non-exempt position, the paralegal will support our attorneys in their representation of clients at every stage of medical malpractice and personal injury litigation, including pre-suit investigations, discovery, pre-trial proceedings, trials, and appeals.
Job responsibilities include:
- Collecting pertinent information from prospective clients during phone interviews.
- Entering information into the firm’s matter intake software and contact databases.
- Working with attorneys and professional staff to evaluate legal claims, request and review medical records, and communicate with prospective clients throughout the intake process.
- Investigating the facts surrounding the medical care and treatment rendered in medical malpractice cases, including birth injury claims.
- Preparing legal documents, including pleadings, motions, briefs, affidavits, notices of intent, discovery requests, case evaluation summaries, and demand letters.
- Researching the law and medicine associated with each case.
- Organizing and maintaining documents in paper and our electronic filing system.
- Inputting updates into our case management system.
- Analyzing and summarizing medical records, deposition transcripts, answers to interrogatories, and other material.
- Meeting with clients and other professionals to discuss details of the case.
- Communicating with clients and their families.
- Working with attorneys, other paralegals, and professional staff.
- Interviewing medical experts and witnesses.
- Attending federal and state court proceedings with attorneys.
- Preparing for trial by organizing exhibits and performing other tasks.
- Participating in firm activities, meetings, and events.
- Assist with other external marketing and administrative duties as needed.
Candidates should possess the required experience and skills:
- Paralegal or legal assistant certification from an accredited program.
- Two or more years of experience working on medical malpractice cases in a law firm setting. Birth injury case experience is a plus.
- Superior writing skills and competency in legal and medical literature research.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to empathize with emotional and distraught individuals seeking legal assistance.
- Familiarity with medical terminology, notations, and records; anatomical drawings; laboratory tests; and medications; and the ability to explain or illustrate diagnoses of medical conditions.
- Solid organizational skills and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced litigation environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Outlook, and Excel; knowledge of Needles CMS, LawRuler, or similar intake and practice management software programs is preferred.
- Ability to work remotely or at home, if requested.
Business hours are 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, but additional work may be necessary. A background check, in accordance with applicable employment laws, may be required. Sommers Schwartz is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates should submit a resumé and compensation requirements to Joseph H. Bourgon at email@example.com.
The attorneys at Sommers Schwartz are well known and well regarded in their practice areas with names that are instantly recognized among both the plaintiff and defense bars. These seasoned litigators regularly secure some of the largest verdicts and settlements in Michigan and elsewhere.
For the right lawyer or small group of attorneys with established practices, proven litigation skills, and a track record of successful high-dollar outcomes, Sommers Schwartz is an environment where you will continue to excel with the help of exceptional people and resources. If you are an experienced attorney who is interested in contributing to Sommers Schwartz’s success, please submit your résumé or curriculum vitae along with compensation requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Along with our lawyers, we boast a talented team of paralegals, legal assistants, legal nurse consultants, administrative assistants, and professional staff, all of whom are equally dedicated to providing outstanding service and achieving the best possible outcomes for our clients. If you are an experienced legal professional and wish to be a part of the Sommers Schwartz family, please submit your résumé or curriculum vitae along with compensation requirements to email@example.com.