An Extraordinary Place to Work
Over the course of our more than 40-year history, Sommers Schwartz has earned a reputation as a leader in high stakes, complex contingency-based litigation. We are proud of what we’ve achieved, and we’re always on the lookout for new people who will add to our continuing success.
Sommers Schwartz is driven by its commitment to a core plaintiff litigation practice – Medical Malpractice, Birth Injury, Personal Injury, Class Actions, Employment Disputes, and Commercial & Business Disputes – and continues to explore related areas that align with the firm’s established brand and practice mix.
Sommers Schwartz is seeking an experienced attorney for our personal injury and medical malpractice litigation team.
In this regular, full-time, exempt position, the associate attorney will assist in the representation of clients at every stage of litigation, including intake and pre-suit investigation, discovery, motion practice, pre-trial proceedings, dispute resolution, and trial.
Job responsibilities include:
- Researching and investigating the law, facts, and medical aspects in a wide variety of personal injury and medical negligence matters.
- Drafting and preparing pleadings, motions, briefs, interrogatories, case evaluation summaries, and other legal documents.
- Analyzing and summarizing medical records, police reports, and other electronic and print documentation.
- Communicating with clients, courts, and opposing counsel during litigation.
- Working with shareholders, other associates, paralegals, and professional staff.
- Appearing in federal and state courts for motions, hearings, conferences, and other proceedings.
- Interviewing and deposing parties, witnesses, and experts, and prepare witnesses for deposition and trial examination.
- Participating in firm activities, meetings, and events.
Candidates should be admitted to and in good standing with the State Bar of Michigan (and other applicable jurisdictions) and possess the required experience and skills:
- Two or more years of experience prosecuting or defending personal injury and/or medical malpractice cases.
- Superior legal research, drafting, and advocacy skills.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to empathize with emotional and distraught individuals seeking legal assistance.
- Familiarity with medical terminology, notations, and records; anatomical drawings; laboratory tests; and medications; and the ability to explain or illustrate diagnoses of medical conditions.
- Solid organizational skills and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced litigation environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Outlook, and Excel; knowledge of Needles CMS, LawRuler, or similar intake and practice management software programs is preferred.
Business hours are 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, but additional work may be necessary. A background check, in accordance with applicable employment laws, may be required. Sommers Schwartz is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resumé and compensation requirements to Richard Groffsky at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The attorneys at Sommers Schwartz are well known and well regarded in their practice areas with names that are instantly recognized among both the plaintiff and defense bars. These seasoned litigators regularly secure some of the largest verdicts and settlements in Michigan and elsewhere.
For the right lawyer or small group of attorneys with established practices, proven litigation skills, and a track record of successful high-dollar outcomes, Sommers Schwartz is an environment where you will continue to excel with the help of exceptional people and resources. If you are an experienced attorney who is interested in contributing to Sommers Schwartz’s success, please submit your résumé or curriculum vitae along with compensation requirements to email@example.com.
Along with our lawyers, we boast a talented team of paralegals, legal assistants, legal nurse consultants, administrative assistants, and professional staff, all of whom are equally dedicated to providing outstanding service and achieving the best possible outcomes for our clients. If you are an experienced legal professional and wish to be a part of the Sommers Schwartz family, please submit your résumé or curriculum vitae along with compensation requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.