Detroit Whistleblower Defense Lawyers
When whistleblowers expose their employers’ wrongdoing, they may require protection from retaliation such as a demotion, denial of a bonus, or termination.
It’s an unfortunate fact that in today’s world, there are many companies that conduct themselves in blatant disregard of the law. Bringing a case against a large corporation can be frightening, but at the same time rewarding for employees who know that it’s the right thing to do.
What Is a Whistleblower?
A whistleblower is defined as an individual, often an employee, who discloses to a public authority (i.e., federal, state, or local government) information regarding wrongdoing, illegal acts, mismanagement, fraud, or other forms of corruption. Frequently, the whistleblower is an employee who is asked by his or her employer to do something that they believe may be illegal.
These courageous people occupy a wide variety of roles in a company, including:
- Health care workers who are aware of fraudulent billing practices
- Bookkeepers or accountants who are aware of financial irregularities
- Plant workers who observe blatant health or safety violations
- Stockbrokers who are aware of illegal trading practices
- Drug representatives who are aware of unapproved marketing of prescription drugs
- Government employees who are aware of illegal directives, practices, or procedures
Deliberate acts of wrongdoing, such as Ponzi scheme investments, health care fraud, or rigging corporate accounting books to hide financial issues have become common problems in corporate America. Sometimes it’s up to a person on the inside to expose the company’s bad acts, someone who can blow the whistle to reveal the truth.
If you or someone you know is aware of corrupt business practices and misconduct, you need a team of employment attorneys to help you do the right thing while protecting your job. You need a law firm known for obtaining compensation for employees who aggressively pursue and defend whistleblower claims in and out of court.
You need Sommers Schwartz in your corner. Call us today.