An unwavering interest in social justice and a winning record
Tad Roumayah takes on employers of all sizes in state and federal courts, representing employees who have faced discrimination and retaliation. Tad regularly brings cases against employers under:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act
- Family Medical Leave Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Michigan’s Elliot-Larsen Civil Rights Act
- Michigan’s Whistleblowers’ Protection Act
Tad also handles cases involving breaches of employment contracts, wrongful discharges and other employment issues and disputes affecting workers and their families.
A termination can leave an employee and the employee’s family scrambling, especially when the firing was done illegally and through no fault of the employee. Tad zealously works to help his clients move forward after suffering the results of illegal employment action, focusing on living a productive and successful life. Over the years, Tad has come to understand that each has unique needs of their own. Thus, Tad strives to tailor his representation to the needs each of his clients. In some cases, this may mean using arbitration or mediation rather than litigation. Through hard work and perseverance, Tad has successfully brought cases against some of the largest employers in the country.
From a young age, Tad has had an unwavering interest in social justice. As the oldest son of Chaldean-Iraqi immigrants and a lifelong resident of Metro Detroit, Tad recognized early on the importance of hard work, perseverance and loyalty in achieving one’s goals. To Tad, the best part of his work is receiving a “thank you” card or e-mail from a client letting him know that he has made a positive difference in the client’s life.
When he is not holding employers accountable for their wrongful actions, Tad enjoys spending time with his wife, children and dog, Scout.
- $719,000 arbitration award for a Black doctor and military officer wrongfully terminated due to her race and military service.
- $388,250 settlement for a former call center manager of a nationwide specialty pharmacy in an employment litigation dispute involving violations of the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- $385,000 settlement for the CEO of a local home healthcare company in an employment litigation dispute involving violations of the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and Breach of Employment Contract.
- $325,000 settlement for a former utility company customer service representative in an employment litigation dispute involving violations of the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- $320,000 settlement for a police officer wrongfully discharged from a local municipality in violation of the Michigan Whistleblower Protection Act, the Michigan Elliot-Larsen Civil Rights Act, and the federal Family and Medical Leave Act.
- $271,000 severance package for a former senior vice president of labor relations at a nationwide company.
- $175,000 settlement for a supply chain planner at a national cereal producer in an employment litigation dispute involving violations of the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- $167,000 severance package for a former chief information officer terminated by a law firm.
- $103,000 severance package for a former engineer employed by an automotive original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
- State Bar of Michigan
- Member, Labor & Employment Section Council
- Chaldean American Bar Association
- Former President
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Michigan Association for Justice
- National Employment Lawyers Association
I really appreciate your help with this case. I’ve never been in a situation like this, and I expected a longer process. My wife and I really value what you did for us.
I’m happy to put this case behind me once and for all. I greatly appreciate your assistance throughout this process. Thank you, Tad! I’m happily employed now and am enjoying a fresh start.
Thank you to Tad for representing me on my severance agreement. The entire negotiation was handled efficiently and in an extremely professional manner. I also really appreciated that Tad was transparent about the process and timelines, as well as that he was willing to discuss strategy, etc. with me. In short, I couldn’t have asked for better representation and counsel.
I want to extend to both you and Tad a final thank you for your diligence in defending my case over the past several months. You put a great deal of time and energy into my defense, included me in the decision-making process, communicated with me regularly, and I am pleased with the outcome. It was an arduous process, but you remained steadfast in reassuring me along the way and I am grateful. I recommend you without reservation. Again, my most sincere thanks to each of you.
When I was fired from my executive position without any notice, a relative of mine recommended I call you. That was one of the best suggestions anyone could have given me at the time. Your professionalism was outstanding. You took the time to listen to my scattered thoughts while I was freaking out about being unemployed at age 59. You asked the right questions to get to the fact that I was being discriminated against and were willing to take on my case. I was so impressed with your knowledge of the law and the way you were able to step back and look at all the options while explaining it to me in layman terms. You spent so much time on a case that could have had zero return. But in the end, it all paid off, because of your expertise and how you handled the case. I would recommend you to anyone who is or has been a victim of workplace harassment, discrimination or any other employment issue. You are outstanding!!!
Tad Roumayah helped me seek a settlement with my former employer to my satisfaction. He is a man of integrity, who has an exceptional knowledge of the law. Impeccable ethics and an unparalleled work ethic make him an outstanding attorney who is capable, meticulous, and diligent. He is a straight-talker who did not tell me what I wanted to hear, but what I needed to know. I highly recommend him, and feel fortunate to have hired the perfect attorney for my case.
I am very satisfied with your actions and performance specifically: the way you handled me and my concerns, identified the breach of contract issue, the skillful way you laid out a plan of action and then negotiate it to a good end. Most impressive was your preparedness at our face to face meeting. You obviously took some time to understand my situation. You engaged me in meaningful conversation from the legal standpoint and presented my options, in a way that I could understand and therefore make an informed decision. I am most grateful for your patience as you guided me to that point of understanding fielding all of my questions and originations. In addition, you have become a valuable resource and trusted advisor that will be a part of my future. This experience has educated me as to how I will handle my work in a rapidly changing world and competitive business environment.
I wanted to thank you for your assistance in resolving the matter with my employer. I was impressed by yours and Tad’s strengths, which included the following:
- You listened to my complaints and were able to determine what laws my employer violated.
- You kept me involved in the case and incorporated my opinions into the process.
- You were diligent in sifting through the documentation that I provided and also requested information from me to learn what I was saying and to clearly understand my perspective.
- You provided me with guidance on how I should act as your client and be part of the team.
- You were patient with me and asked your questions in various ways until you were sure that I understood your requests. As a result, I was able to provide you with all of the information that you needed.
- You had an exceptional grasp of the law.
- You were willing to support me either on an hourly basis, as a representative in arbitration or as a partner in litigation.
- You both have pleasant personalities and are enjoyable to associate with. I felt like we could be friends!
I had a wonderful experience with you and Tad! I think that coming into your office, I was lacking a lot of knowledge about what my rights and options were with my former employer and I was very appreciative of how you presented all the facts and tools at my disposal. I think the outcome was great, in spite of my former employer’s attempts at dodging the issue and I am extremely happy in my new position. I do not think I would have been in this new position if I had truly allowed the stress of the situation with my former employer get to me while I was interviewing. A big reason for which I was able to keep my stress levels down was that I knew you and Tad were on top of making sure that my former employer was held responsible. Overall a wonderful job and I will definitely recommend you to my friends in the Michigan area!
Dan, I was very satisfied with the services you and Tad provided to me. The most important item for me was you both responded to my questions and inquiries quickly. I appreciated that aspect of your service. I will recommend you and your firm’s services to my friends and family. Thanks for your help.
We are pleased with the job that you have done for us, especially with respect to your thoroughness and professionalism! You both presented yourselves in a genuine and professional manner, and this is precisely why we retained you. In addition, communicating with you throughout this process was fluid and much appreciated.
Unlike several other firms I considered, Sommers Schwartz responded almost immediately to the email I sent briefly explaining my situation, and Tad vetted my concerns over the phone to determine I had a potentially viable claim. After determining that to be the case, he promptly arranged for a meeting to finalize his inquiries, determined there were substantial grounds to move forward and arrange for my meeting with you. I was particularly impressed with the fact that you quickly cut to the chase and were candid in discounting the aspects of the case that were less compelling despite my initially believing otherwise. In preparing me for the mediation, you forced me to do a critical self-examination as to my degree of culpability in the matter, correctly anticipating areas of concern the mediator may have. You were on a short list of attorney’s I considered to represent me in this matter based on your standing in the legal community and I have no doubt that your reputation brought this matter to a resolution more expeditiously than a less highly regarded attorney would have been able to accomplish. I would absolutely consider using you if the need arises in the future and I will confidently recommend Sommers Schwartz to friends or family members in need of legal services.
I was and still am satisfied with you and your firm. You believed in me and believed that I was wronged by [the defendant]. You listened to my input and suggestions. You understood what I was up against and justice was served. Thank you for working with me.
I want to express what a great job Tad did. He made me feel comfortable and important in his role and he was very supportive. I was very impressed.
I felt from the beginning that Dan and Tad had my back and that my best interests were always at heart. All options and possible obstacles were clearly defined and repeated throughout the course of the litigation so that I was clear about my case at all times. I felt that within a short period of time, they fully understood my case, and advised me as to the best possible courses to take with the best possible outcomes.
I am more than reasonably satisfied with the outcome. The monetary consideration is one thing but the principle of the matter was very important to me. Civil rights were violated with discrimination. My character and integrity were in question. The dispute was settled in my favor and, with a great deal of my gratitude and respect for those of you in the legal profession. The scope and depth of the demand letter gave me all the confidence and comfort that my dispute would be managed by the best. It seems to me most all communications were timely and concrete, and I appreciate the team effort provided. On a very personal note I would like you gentlemen to know that for those of us that have been violated and need legal assistance, we must often wait for justice in quiet desperation. As such, the words I used above “confidence and comfort” came only from you and your team. This also gives meaning to the words: all comes to those who wait. Yes, I wanted to call you gentlemen more than once for updates! If I had a legal problem in the future, I would consider only calling your firm for assistance. I have already given a friend a recommendation to your firm.
- Wayne State University Law School, Juris Doctor
- Oakland University, Bachelors of Arts in Political Science
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals