Patients entrust surgeons with their lives and expect doctors and medical staff to be competent and effective.
While some amount of risk is inherent in all surgical procedures (i.e., infection, clotting issues, reactions to anesthesia, healing complications), this does not excuse medical negligence.
So where does foreseeable risk and complications stop and professional negligence become the cause?
Here are some examples:
- Procedural errors, such as incorrect incisions or operating on the wrong body part
- Internal damage to surrounding organs or tissue due to carelessness or negligence of the medical staff
- Infection caused by unsterilized equipment and tools
- Sponges or surgical materials inadvertently left inside the patient
- Cutting, clamping, clipping or cauterizing mistakes due to a failure to properly identify the anatomy
- Brain damage or death as a result of anesthesia overdose
- Lack of oxygen during intubation
- Infection or delayed healing due to failure to properly monitor a patient after the surgery
When errors happen due to negligence, carelessness, or incompetence, the result is often devastating. Hospitals, health care providers, and their insurers aggressively defend against such claims, oftentimes making surgical malpractice difficult to prove and document.
Learn How Sommers Schwartz Can Help You
In cases of professional negligence and medical malpractice, you need a zealous advocate with decades of experience and attorneys ready to take on complex and complicated cases – and win. Sommers Schwartz has the medical experts and resources to thoroughly and accurately evaluate your claim, and the successful legal team to litigate your case and secure the compensation you deserve.
Contact us to get the legal help you need.
Testimonials from Medical Malpractice Clients
Andy Dragovic did an outstanding job for me. He explained the details of litigation, negotiation, and settlement before we decided on a course of action. The result was an excellent settlement. It was a pleasure to have Andy handle my claim.
– Describing Medical Malpractice Attorney, Andy Dragovic