Jay Yasso, a senior shareholder with Sommers Schwartz, focuses his practice on medical malpractice, automobile negligence, and personal injury. He has litigated, mediated and facilitated numerous multi-million dollar settlements on behalf of injured victims for over twenty years, and his experience and expertise allows him to sit on mediation panels in Oakland, Wayne and Macomb County Circuit Courts.
In addition, for the last 23 years, Jay’s professional practice has also focused on representing individuals and businesses in the entertainment industry, including representing record companies, recording artists, music and film producers, production companies, artist managers, agents, songwriters, music publishers, models and modeling agencies, authors and literary publishers. Services provided to entertainment clients include counseling clients in the entertainment field, contract drafting and negotiation and litigation.
Jay has also been actively involved at St. Regis Parish where, as a member, was elected to the Board of Directors of the School Finance Committee and the school's Capital Campaign Committee. He is also a member of the St. Regis Booster's Club and Dad's Club, and has been a basketball coach, counselor, and mentor for boys and girls participating in Catholic Youth Organization for the past 15 years.Jay also sits on the board of the D-MAN Foundation, a non-profit devoted to helping people with disabilities, and for which he has worked to build a music therapy studio, earning him the nickname "The Music Man."
- University of Detroit School of Law, Juris Doctor
- Wayne State University, Masters of Arts in International Relations, Magna Cum Laude
- Boston College, Bachelor of Arts in Economics, with distinction
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Areas of Practice
- State Bar of Michigan - Arts, Communications, Entertainment & Sports Section (ACES)
- American Bar Association
- Michigan Association for Justice
- International Association of Entertainment Lawyers
- Sports Lawyers Association
- Arabic American Chamber of Commerce
- Chaldean American Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Lebanese American Camber of Commerce
- Case Evaluator, Oakland, Wayne and Macomb Counties
- AV Preeminent Lawyer – Peer Review Rating of 5.0 out of 5.0 (Martindale-Hubbell)
- Super Lawyers (Michigan) – 2009 to present
- Dbusiness “Top Lawyers” – 2014