Known for impressive verdicts and settlements
Richard Groffsky focuses his practice on medical malpractice and personal injury litigation, and has represented victims of devastating brain injuries and birth injuries in Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, South Carolina, and Georgia in significant brain injury and birth injury cases.
Rick’s strength is in the field of medical malpractice where an understanding of medical science combined with legal training and experience allows him to help clients obtain the relief they need and deserve. Throughout his career, Rick has victims of devastating brain and birth injuries in Georgia, Michigan, and Illinois.
Rick is well-known for impressive verdicts and settlements, 25 of which are in excess of $1 million. Such achievements have earned him repeated recognition by “Best Lawyers in America” and “Super Lawyers.”
Rick heads up the firm’s Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury Litigation Department and, when not working on cases, makes it a point to travel as much and as far as he can. He even has a great story from his childhood that he sometimes brings up in conversations by mentioning that: “My parents wedding was the basis for the ending of a famous older movie. Not telling which one.”
- $9.1 million verdict for the death of a 39-year-old father of two
- $7.5 million recovery for a baby who was rendered quadriplegic at one month of age.
- $7.4 million recovery for a baby brain damaged at birth by neonatal malpractice
- $4.375million recovery for a baby who suffered a brain injury due to obstetrical malpractice (IIllinois)
- $3.9 million recovery for a baby who suffered a brain injury due to nursing negligence during birth (Georgia)
- $3.5 million recovery for man brain injured from a surgical mishap
- $3.5 million recovery for a woman rendered brain injured by anesthesia malpractice
- $3.0 million recovery for a brain injured baby who had a delayed diagnosis of intrauterine hypoxia
- $2.1 million recovery for a baby who was brain injured from a delayed diagnosis of his congenital metabolic disease (Illinois)
- $1.975 million settlement for a client permanently paralyzed due to the failure to timely diagnose and treat an epidural abscess in his spine
- $1.8 million recovery for a baby who suffered a brain injury due to obstetrical malpractice
- $1.8 million settlement for a child born 24 weeks premature due to a failure to treat his mother’s pelvic inflammatory disease
- State Bar of Michigan
- Attorney Discipline Board, Panel Member, 1990 to present
- American Association for Justice
- Michigan Association for Justice
Even though it doesn’t change our daughter’s condition, it will make going through some of the challenges she will face less burdensome from a financial perspective. We appreciate your professionalism, Rick Groffsky – you are truly a master of your craft.
- DePaul University College of Law, Juris Doctor (JD)
- University of Michigan, Bachelor of Arts