A competitive edge and numerous multi-million dollar outcomes
Matthew Curtis is a senior shareholder and member of the Board of Directors at Sommers Schwartz, P.C. For the past 30 years, he has successfully litigated complex personal injury and medical malpractice cases throughout Michigan, and across the United States. He has successfully resolved hundreds of medical negligence cases and has been responsible for securing numerous verdicts and settlements in excess of $1,000,000 on behalf of his clients.Matt has successfully litigated cases in Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Minnesota, Georgia, and Maryland.
While Matt represents clients in a broad area of personal injury and medical negligence cases, he concentrates his practice in the areas of:
- Birth Trauma and Neonatal Malpractice
- Delayed or Misdiagnosis of Medical Conditions
- Surgical Errors
- Emergency Room Negligence
- Automobile Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Catastrophic Injuries
A lifelong athlete, Matt credits much of his success to his competitive edge and his desire to win. Matt believes that complete preparation is a necessary precursor to victory, and always puts in the work to be the best prepared person in the courtroom.
Matt was the recipient of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association Award for his successful representation of three families who filed federal tort claims against the National Institute of Health. He represents clients in counties throughout the entire state of Michigan.
His passion and tenacity have earned him respect from the defense bar, insurance companies and healthcare corporations. He also serves on the Executive Board of the Michigan Association for Justice.
MENTIONED IN THE NEWS:
- Family members blame landlord for parents’ death due to carbon monoxide poisoning, WXYZ Detroit
- Silent killer: the rising toll of carbon monoxide in public housing, NBC News
- ‘How many more people have to die?’ Carbon monoxide kills two more in HUD housing, NBC News
VERDICTS & SETTLEMENTS
- One of the largest medical malpractice verdicts in the State of Michigan in 2008, exceeding $9 million
- $7.4 million medical malpractice settlement for an infant born depressed after an emergent delivery and who developed brain damage from not being properly resuscitated in the critical first hour after birth.
- $4.0 million settlement in a medical malpractice case involving a delay in diagnosing spinal cord compression resulting in paralysis of the patient.
- $3.5 million settlement in a medical malpractice case involving a hospital and obstetrician’s failure to perform timely cesarean section resulting in brain damage to a baby
- $3,045,000 medical malpractice settlement for a woman who suffered a significant and permanently disabling hypoxic injury to her brain due to an anesthesiology error
- $2.5 million medical malpractice settlement for a 33-year-old man who suffered a hypoxic-ischemic brain injury after his respiratory distress was not properly treated in a hospital emergency room
- $2.1 million settlement in a medical malpractice case filed in Cook County Circuit Court (Illinois) involving a newborn who suffered motor deficits after a delay in testing
- $1.83 million settlement in a medical malpractice case involving a hypoxic brain injury
- $1.2 million malpractice settlement against a hospital and emergency room physician based on failure to diagnose a patient’s impending heart attack resulting in the death of the patient
- $1 million dram shop action settlement for the estate of a passenger killed when an intoxicated driver crashed the vehicle after a restaurant/bar failed to stop serving the driver alcoholic beverages
- $1 million medical malpractice settlement in a case against a hospital and emergency room physician based on the failure to diagnose an infection resulting in death
- $850,000 settlement for the family of a man who died after physicians and nurses failed to treat a pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis
- $700,000 settlement for head injury caused by an auto accident
- $500,000 personal injury settlement for a back injury suffered in a car accident
- $456K settlement in a medical malpractice case against a hospital and orthopedic surgeon for performing hip replacement surgery utilizing improperly matched components
- State of Michigan Bar Association
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow (2008)
- Michigan Association for Justice, Executive Board Member
- American Association for Justice
- Hellenic Bar Association, Past President (1994-1995)
I was referred to Matt Curtis by an attorney’s office in the city where I live. From the first telephone conversation with Matt and his team, I felt confident I didn’t need to look any further for an attorney. Matt was the correct person for the medical malpractice case for my husband’s death. My decision was confirmed every step of the way that I had indeed been referred to the best lawyer I could possibly have hoped for. I know for sure he would have had my husband’s stamp of approval. Matt is extremely dedicated to his clients and their best interests. He is down to earth, friendly, compassionate, easy to work with, and a fighter for his clients. Whenever I needed to talk to him, he always asked about how I was doing before he got down to business. He saw and treated me as a person and not just a case file. He stayed on top of my case, kept progress moving forward, and kept me informed every step of the way. Matt worked diligently to get justice for my husband. He responded to emails and telephone calls in a very timely manner. He was there for me! He is extremely knowledgeable about the law he practices. Venturing into a medical malpractice case was a daunting task. Matt made it manageable. His staff is incredible. They all hold themselves to high standards. Beyond the outstanding knowledge and professionalism, I appreciated his down to earth friendly approach. I always felt like I was talking to a friend rather than an attorney. Do you want the best? Hire Matt Curtis. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
I worked closely with Matt Curtis on a medical malpractice case – he went to bat for me every step of the way. I wouldn’t recommend anyone else.
This is my first time working with an attorney and I am so grateful to have had Mr. Matt Curtis help me with my very tough case. Many well-known lawyers across the state wouldn’t take my case but Mr. Curtis gave it his all. He is a very hard worker and so driven. If it wasn’t for his dedication, I wouldn’t be where I am today. He was always keeping in touch with me and if I ever needed to speak to him, he was a phone call or email away (which he responds to so quickly!!!). Everyone at the office is so kind and his paralegals are so sweet and made the process a lot easier. If you’re looking for a top notch lawyer who will make sure you get what you deserve and even more, I highly recommend Mr. Matt Curtis. I have come across nothing but positive reviews about him and they are all true.
This was my first time going through anything such as a medical lawsuit or even working with an attorney. My oldest son was born with an “undetected” heart defect resulting in the need of him being “revived” which left him a “stroke survivor.” Our case was 11 years in the making with many ups and downs. Our attorney Matthew Curtis never gave up. He was tough, very professional, and knew his stuff! Our case was very difficult and challenging and therefore was very time-consuming. Each step of the way, Matt explained what was going on and what I could expect, and he always kept in contact through emails or phone calls. If I ever had any questions or concerns Matt was just an email or phone call away – he was quick to get back to me too! Matt is sincere, kind, and compassionate – he has become more than just our attorney. He is more like family! I highly recommend contacting Matt if you ever find yourself in need of a top-notch attorney. His kindness, professionalism, wisdom, and personal concern is astounding!
- Detroit College of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1985
- Moot Court Board
- University of Michigan, Bachelor in General Studies, 1982
- Varsity Wrestling Team, 1978-1980
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Tax Court