Matthew Curtis is a senior shareholder and member of the Board of Directors at Sommers Schwartz, P.C. For the past 30 years, he has successfully litigated complex personal injury and medical malpractice cases throughout Michigan, and across the country including Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Minnesota, Georgia, and Maryland.
Matt concentrates his practice in the areas of:
- Birth Trauma/Neonatal Malpractice
- Delayed or Misdiagnosis of Medical Conditions
- Surgical Mishaps
- Emergency Room Negligence
- Automobile/Trucking Accidents
- Wrongful Death/Catastrophic Injuries
Matt was the recipient of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association Award for his successful representation of three families who filed federal tort claims against the National Institute of Health. He represents clients in counties throughout the entire state of Michigan. His passion and tenacity has earned respect from the defense bar, insurance companies and healthcare corporations. He also serves on the Executive Board of the Michigan Association for Justice.
He has successfully resolved hundreds of medical negligence cases and has been responsible for securing numerous verdicts and settlements in excess of $1,000,000 on behalf of his clients.
- Detroit College of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1985
- Moot Court Board
- University of Michigan, Bachelor in General Studies, 1982
- Varsity Wrestling Team, 1978-1980
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Tax Court
Areas of Practice
- $2.5 million medical malpractice settlement for a 33-year-old man who suffered a hypoxic ischemic brain injury after his respiratory distress was not properly treated in a hospital emergency room
- One of the largest medical malpractice verdicts in the State of Michigan in 2008, exceeding $9 million
- $3,045,000 medical malpractice settlement for a woman who suffered a significant and permanently disabling hypoxic injury to her brain due to anesthesiology error
- $7.4 million medical malpractice settlement for an infant born depressed after an emergent delivery and who developed brain damage from not being properly resuscitated in the critical first hour after birth.
- $2.1 million settlement in a medical malpractice case filed in Cook County Circuit Court (Illinois) involving a newborn who suffered motor deficits after a delay in testing
- $1.83 million settlement in a medical malpractice case involving a hypoxic brain injury
- $1 million dram shop action settlement for the estate of a passenger killed when an intoxicated driver crashed the vehicle after a restaurant/bar failed to stop serving the driver alcoholic beverages
- $1 million medical malpractice settlement in case against hospital and emergency room physician based on failure to diagnose infection in patient resulting in death
- $3.5 million settlement in medical malpractice case involving a hospital and obstetrician’s failure to perform timely cesarean section resulting in brain damage to baby
- $456K settlement in medical malpractice case against hospital and orthopedic surgeon for performing hip replacement surgery utilizing improperly matched components
- $1.2 million malpractice settlement against hospital and emergency room physician based on failure to diagnose patient’s impending heart attack resulting in death of patient
- $315K malpractice settlement against nursing home based upon failure to recognize 89 year old resident as a diabetic which resulted in failure to administer insulin, thus causing death from diabetic complications
- State of Michigan Bar Association
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow (2008)
- Michigan Association for Justice, Executive Board Member
- American Association for Justice
- Hellenic Bar Association, Past President (1994-1995)
I worked closely with Matt Curtis on a medical malpractice case - he went to bat for me every step of the way. I wouldn't recommend anyone else.</p
This is my first time working with an attorney and I am so grateful to have had Mr. Matt Curtis help me with my very tough case. Many well-known lawyers across the state wouldn't take my case but Mr. Curtis gave it his all. He is a very hard worker and so driven. If it wasn't for his dedication, I wouldn't be where I am today. He was always keeping in touch with me and if I ever needed to speak to him, he was a phone call or email away (which he responds to so quickly!!!). Everyone at the office is so kind and his paralegals are so sweet and made the process a lot easier. If you're looking for a top notch lawyer who will make sure you get what you deserve and even more, I highly recommend Mr. Matt Curtis. I have come across nothing but positive reviews about him and they are all true.
This was my first time going through anything such as a medical lawsuit or even working with an attorney. My oldest son was born with an "undetected" heart defect resulting in the need of him being "revived" which left him a "stroke survivor." Our case was 11 years in the making with many ups and downs. Our attorney Matthew Curtis never gave up. He was tough, very professional, and knew his stuff! Our case was very difficult and challenging and therefore was very time-consuming. Each step of the way, Matt explained what was going on and what I could expect, and he always kept in contact through emails or phone calls. If I ever had any questions or concerns Matt was just an email or phone call away - he was quick to get back to me too! Matt is sincere, kind, and compassionate – he has become more than just our attorney. He is more like family! I highly recommend contacting Matt if you ever find yourself in need of a top-notch attorney. His kindness, professionalism, wisdom, and personal concern is astounding!
- AV Preeminent Lawyer – Peer Review Rating of 5.0 out of 5.0 (Martindale-Hubbell)
- Best Lawyers, Plaintiff’s Medical Malpractice – 2018 to present
- “Top Rated Lawyer” in Medical Malpractice – 2016 (Martindale-Hubbell)
- National Trial Lawyers “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” – 2014
- Super Lawyers (Michigan) – 2010 to Present
- Top Attorneys in Michigan (New York Times) – 2011
- DBusiness Top Lawyer – 2010
- Fellow, Michigan State Bar Foundation – 2008
- Advocacy Award, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association
- “What’s on the Horizon for Michigan Medical Malpractice?” Michigan State University College of Law
- The Law Business Insider, Featuring Americas Premier Lawyers & Business Execs Radio Show featured Matt Curtis as one of their premier guests on the January 2, 2010 program