At a very young age, Lisa Esser-Weidenfeller was told “you are going to be a lawyer some day.” This statement was most assuredly brought on by her love of debate, and, quite frankly, just a good argument. It was in college though that Lisa truly discovered that she had a passion for the law.
After graduating from Western Michigan University (Go Broncos!) with a bachelor’s degree in Finance, she made the decision to attend Thomas M. Cooley Law School on an honor’s scholarship. While attending Cooley, Lisa became the Law Review Screening and Preemption Editor, was involved in Moot Court competitions, obtained numerous book awards, studied international law at prestigious law schools in Australia and New Zealand, was a criminal procedure teaching and research assistant, and completed her legal education in 2006 winning the Distinguished Student Award, President’s Achievement Award, and the James E. Burns Memorial Award, in addition to graduating first in her law school class.
Thereafter, Lisa immediately went to work at Sommers Schwartz, P.C., practicing as a full-time litigator. She has devoted her life to advocating for those that have been severely injured by either a health care professional’s negligence or as a result of an automobile accident.
Lisa’s legal background, along with her commitment to courtroom excellence and a deep dedication to her clients and their families, has allowed her to make an important difference in the lives of the clients she represents. As a result of her outstanding advocacy, Lisa has been selected for membership in many prestigious trial lawyer organizations.
Lisa has been named as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers since 2011. Rising stars are attorneys who are 40 years old or younger or those who have practiced for ten years or less. Only 2.5 percent of Michigan lawyers are named to this list every year. Lisa has also been named in National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 since 2012. In 2013, she became the youngest ever shareholder at Sommers Schwartz, P.C. Lisa has obtained millions in settlements and verdicts for her clients over the years. In 2010, she and two other attorneys obtained one of the largest medical malpractice jury verdicts in Michigan.
Proud of the work she has done standing by the side of those who need her help to receive justice, Lisa also takes great pride in her family. Married to her husband, Scott, and mother of three, she considers her roles as a mother, wife, and daughter among her greatest achievements.
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Juris Doctor, summa cum laude
- Law Review Screening & Preemption Editor
- First Year Moot Court Competition
- Honors Scholarship
- Numerous Book Awards
- Distinguished Student Award
- President’s Achievement Award
- James E. Burns Memorial Award
- Eugene Krasicky Award
- Sol Siegel Award
- Criminal Procedure Teaching & Research Assistant
- Canterbury University, Christchurch, New Zealand, study of International Law
- Monash University, Melbourne, Australia, study of International Law
- Western Michigan University, B.B.A. in Finance
Areas of Practice
- 2017: $2,000,000 settlement for medical staff’s failure to timely diagnose Strep B infection during pregnancy, resulting in serious birth injuries including septicemia, meningitis, retinal hemorrhage, and optic nerve damage.
- 2017: $1,325,000 settlement for a neurosurgeon’s failure to treat spinal cord stenosis, resulting in permanent lower extremity paralysis, constant nerve pain, and limited mobility and ambulation.
- 2016: $855,000 verdict in a wrongful death case alleging an oral surgeon's failure to diagnose cancer of the tongue.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Character & Fitness Committee, District I
- American Association for Justice
- Michigan Association for Justice
- Executive Board
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Awards & Subgrants Chief Judge, Young Lawyers Division, 2013-2014 term
- Awards & Subgrants Team Associate Judge, Young Lawyers Division, 2009-2010 term
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Medical Legal Committee (2016)
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly “Up & Coming Lawyers” – 2015
- Super Lawyers Rising Star (Michigan) – 2011 to present
- National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 – 2012