A dedicated trial lawyer and active community member
Ken is an accomplished trial attorney and over the course of his career has obtained numerous multi-million dollar settlements and verdicts for clients. He achieved one of the largest seven-digit medical malpractice cases in Macomb County and was also elected to membership in the exclusive Million Dollar Verdict Club.
Ken is dedicated to serving the local community as well and is noted for his engagement with others needing help. He has spoken on numerous occasions at the Detroit Public School Career Days, and serves on the board of Directors for Urban Solutions, Inc., that provides yearly scholarships to inner-city youths. He was also a charter member and trustee for the Motor City Optimist Club that helps area youth via organizational empowerment and community activities. He served as co-president of the Brother Rice High School Dad’s Club, participating on the board of Directors for three years.
He lends his presence and knowledge to the Board of Trustees of the Oakland Schools Education Foundation, and on the Board of Directors for Don Bosco Hall, that provides supportive human services to enhance the quality of life for youth and their families in the Metropolitan Detroit-Wayne County Community. Ken allows high school students on summer break to shadow him while he is working on cases, showing them various aspects of the legal profession and exposes them to general and expected business practices.
One of the things that Ken enjoys the most about being an attorney is that he is helping people in need and often changing their lives for the better. He is driven by his heartfelt passion for the law and his sincere altruism.
- Nearly $7 million settlement for an eight-year-old suffering brain damage after anesthesia error during surgery.
- $4.25 million dollar case resolution for a delayed diagnosis of a colloid cyst resulting in permanent, irreversible brain damage.
- $3.0 million settlement at trial for a wrongful death negligence case.
- $2.56 million verdict for permanent impairment and scarring from necrotizing fasciitis. The defendants’ misdiagnosis and failure to quickly treat the flesh-eating disease resulted in extensive debridement causing disfigurement and a permanent lack of mobility.
- $2.2 million medical malpractice settlement for the wrongful death of a previously healthy 28-year-old man who died six hours after being incorrectly diagnosed with gastroenteritis.
- $2.1 million case resolution for alleged ill-advised neurosurgical interventions which ultimately caused or contributed to paraplegia.
- Confidential multi-million settlement for the plaintiff after three-story fall due to improperly maintained guardrail.
- Confidential multi-million-dollar settlement where attorney Watkins discovered a child had been misdiagnosed and incorrectly treated for a seizure disorder.
- $1.5 million settlement for a misplaced umbilical vein catheter leading to an infant’s death.
- $1.5 million settlement for the 74-year old client requiring a hysterectomy after being diagnosed with endometrial cancer. Her illiac veins were severely injured causing severe blood loss, a heart attack, renal failure and respiratory failure. She suffered from encephalopathy and was re-intubated for suspected aspiration pneumonia, renal failure, and possible septic shock. She experienced infection, bacteremia, and gangrene in her right foot, which was ultimately amputated.
- $1.7 million verdict after patient received excessive fluids while in hospital.
- $1 million settlement for a delayed diagnosis and treatment of Cauda Equina Syndrome resulting in permanent bowel deficits and lower extremity weakness.
- $320,000 confidential settlement for opthalmologist malpractice for not treating ocular hypertension and open angle glaucoma.
- Confidential settlement for estate of 44-year old man not given catheterization when presenting with chest pains.
- Wolverine Bar Association – Former President and Former Executive Board Member
- Michigan Association for Justice – Executive Board Sustaining, Board of Directors
- American Association for Justice – Michigan Minority Delegate Representative & State Delegate
- American Bar Association
- National Bar Association – Former Special Assistant to the President, Former Member of Judicial Review & Selection Committee
- Federal Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan – Judicial Qualifications Committee
- Wolverine Bar Association – Clerkship Committee
- Man to Man Mentor Program, Detroit, Michigan
- Urban Solutions, Inc. – Board of Directors
- Motor City Optimist Club – Charter Member and Trustee
- Volunteer Coach, Southfield Lathrup Falcons
- Brother Rice High School Dad’s Club – Co-President and Board of Directors
- Oakland Schools Education Foundation – Board of Directors
- Don Bosco Hall – Board of Director
My family really appreciated the hard work and dedication from Ken and his team. Even with so many obstacles against us, he won our case. So many people have lawyers who don’t care at all. Ken and his team do.
They were very understanding of my sensitive situation. They treated us like family and were very helpful at every step. I would recommend Ken and Sommers Schwartz to anyone with a similar issue.
I really didn’t think we had a case, but Ken Watkins and his team did an excellent job and got us a nice settlement without going to trial. He always did what was best for us and was sympathetic to our feelings. Everyone at Sommers Schwartz was friendly and helpful, answered any questions we had, and kept us informed throughout the process.
My matter was handled and prosecuted above my expectations and resulted in a positive outcome – other attorneys I contacted weren’t even interested in representing me. I would strongly recommend Sommers Schwartz and Mr. Watkins, and I was thoroughly pleased with him, his paralegal, and the firm. The entire team was professional, knowledgeable, and communicated with me consistently.
Mr. Watkins is extremely competent and professional. I would recommend him in a heartbeat!
We were impressed with how the case was handled for my mom. Mr. Watkins exposed details of negligence that we were not aware of. After meeting him the first time, I had no doubt he was the perfect attorney to handle the case. I’m sure Sommers Schwartz has lots of clients, but we ALWAYS received excellent service.
After meeting Mr. Watkins in person and working with him during the proceedings, I realized that the words in his website bio were true. He is a FIGHTER for his clients. No matter what time of day I called, he immediately returned my call. I am totally unfamiliar with the legal process and he made me feel knowledgeable and was never condescending. I am glad I made an EXCELLENT decision in selecting him. Of course, I will always recommend Mr. Watkins and Sommers Schwartz. Thank you and may God Bless.
Mr. Watkins showed he was a great lawyer by the way he handled the case. He always kept me informed and the entire team was professional. I would highly recommend him and the firm.
Ken Watkins and the lawyers at Sommers Schwartz did an excellent job, were responsive to my emails and telephone calls, and I was very satisfied with their performance in court and the result.
The settlement that Mr. Watkins achieved was beyond my expectations! Without hesitation, I would and have recommended him to my friends and family. He and the staff all have been extremely cooperative, informative, and professional.
Ken Watkins and everyone at Sommers Schwartz went above and beyond my expectations! They are professional, caring, and compassionate, and I can’t say enough or thank them enough for everything they did on my behalf.
When it seemed that we would not be able to get anyone to listen to us regarding the details of our accident and any potential merit to a legal case, you were kind enough to listen, and subsequently bring this matter to a positive resolution.
Kenneth Watkins is very knowledgeable in his practice of medical malpractice cases and extremely thorough in investigative information. Being a healthcare professor myself, I was impressed to know that he was so well read and knew the medical jargon (terminology) when evaluating individual cases. I found him to be very professional, credible, and personable.
Mr. Watkins is an excellent attorney and we appreciate all his efforts to resolve our case! Thank you so very much for all you and your team did!
Mr. Watkins and his team were excellent to work with. Mr. Watkins is a very competent and trustworthy attorney. He exceeded my expectations. I received correspondence in a timely fashion, he returned my phone calls, and when I needed something explained to me Mr. Watkins took the time to ensure that I was clear on the topic at hand. I am very pleased with the outcome of my case. I highly recommend attorney Kenneth Watkins.
- Detroit College of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude
- Detroit College of Law Review
- Quarter Finalist, Fredrick Douglas Moot Court Competition
- Northwestern University, Bachelor of Science