Standing up for those who do not have a voice
Dina Zalewski is a member of Sommers Schwartz’s Medical Malpractice Litigation and Personal Injury Litigation groups.
Originally, from the East side of Detroit, Dina grew up knowing she wanted to help people by standing up and speaking for those who did not have a voice. From a young age, Dina knew she wanted to be a lawyer and, because her family was directly affected by a healthcare provider’s medical negligence, joining the medical malpractice team here at Sommers Schwartz was a natural fit.
After receiving her Bachelor of Arts in English from Wayne State University, Dina pursued her Juris Doctor from University of Detroit Mercy School of Law. In law school, she earned various academic awards and supplemented her classroom learning by interning with the Juvenile Division of the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office. She also cultivated her litigation skills by participating in national moot court competitions, which led to her election as Associate Director for Internal Competitions on the Moot Court Board of Advocates and her induction into the Order of Barristers.
Dina is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, the Macomb County Bar Association, the Oakland County Bar Association, the Michigan Association for Justice, and the American Association for Justice. When she is not practicing law, Dina enjoys being a mom, traveling, cooking, and spending time with friends and family. She is also a diehard Red Wings fan.
- $4.6 million medical malpractice settlement for a 29-year-old man who suffered permanent and severe neurological deficits due to the failure to diagnose a stroke.
- Confidential five-figure settlement for a victim who sustained bite injuries from a dog attack.
- $950,000 settlement on behalf of a 73-year-old man who suffered serious injuries from a botched cardiac ablation procedure.
- $650,000 settlement for the estate of a man who died of a pulmonary embolism resulting from a deep vein thrombosis.
- $500,000 settlement for a woman who suffered a bowel perforation during outpatient surgery to remove her appendix.
$500,000 pre-suit medical malpractice settlement for a woman whose doctors failed to remove sufficient cancerous breast tissue and failed to inform her of the cancerous tissue’s presence.
- $415,000 medical malpractice settlement for the estate of a man who died of sepsis after the defendant surgeon perforated his colon during a laparoscopic splenectomy.
- $400,000 medical malpractice settlement for an infant who contracted a severe and life-threatening bacterial infection.
- $350,000 pre-suit settlement for a woman who was misdiagnosed as having an ectopic pregnancy and improperly prescribed medication that caused her to miscarry.
- State Bar of Michigan
- The Macomb County Bar Association
- The Oakland County Bar Association
- The American Association for Justice
- Michigan Association for Justice
- Kids on the Go
- Board of Directors
- Young Professionals Committee
The lawyers at Sommers Schwartz, P.C. were nothing short of amazing when I came to them with my medical malpractice case! Dina truly helped to put my mind at ease and because of her and her firm, I finally have closure and can begin my healing process! I just want to say Thank You!
Dina never lied to us and was very straightforward. I feel like she took me under her wing. She got me through something that I thought was going to be incredibly difficult for me to relive. Dina felt like a friend, somebody I could trust and look to for guidance. I would strongly recommend this law firm. Thank you, Dina. I don’t think I could’ve done this without you.
Dina, Rick, and Andy were amazing lawyers. They helped me through an incredibly difficult time in my life after losing my son. I wanted answers on why, and they helped me through the whole process and they got me answers. After I lost my son, I was severely depressed. Every time I met with Dina, she gave me more answers that helped me grow into the person I am today. My family and I can now rest easy for all the work that Dina, Andy, and Rick have done for us.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate you! From our first conversation on the phone, I knew you truly believed me, and I felt comfortable sharing very personal and painful information with you. This was one of the hardest things that I’ve been through, but you made me feel like I had a voice and was not crazy. I knew that if anyone could help me, it would be this amazing team of strong, intelligent, and forthright women – and it turns out I was right. I truly could not have and would not have been able to pursue this case without your support. You are both professional and compassionate, which is hard to find in this day and age. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2012
- Wayne State University, Bachelor of Arts in English, 2008