Andrew Kochanowski has practiced complex federal litigation for over 25 years, and primarily represents companies and individuals as plaintiffs in complex business and intellectual property disputes (infringement, copyright, trade secrets), RICO violations, torts, multi-party and extra-territorial litigation, class actions, and similar matters - often involving discovery and applications of laws and courts outside the United States. He has also been involved in numerous U.S. and international arbitrations.
Andy’s clients include companies and individuals from around the world, and he successfully represents them in a range of complex civil matters including patent infringement litigation, trade secret, RICO, Robinson-Patman, Sherman Act, and other federal and state business-related cases. He has represented European and Asian clients in U.S. litigation and licensing disputes involving intellectual property and other matters, research and development companies in enforcing patent portfolios, automotive suppliers in various matters, and Lloyd’s of London market insurers in complex first party environmental matters.
He has been a first-chair federal trial attorney in a wide variety of cases in numerous jurisdictions, has won a number of multi- million dollar verdicts, and has successfully argued cases before a number of federal appellate courts. He has arbitrated complex business disputes before a number of national and international panels, including licensing, re-insurance, and Chinese business ventures disputes in New York, London, and Hong Kong.
Among his successful results in recent years are a $3.6 million jury verdict in a federal constitutional matter, a $4 million verdict in a patent and licensing matter, a $16 million resolution of a trademark and license dispute on behalf of a foreign entity, enforcement of a sophisticated patent portfolio leading to a number of confidential license agreements for the patent holder, and significant confidential settlements in a range of business cases ranging from corporate defamation, to antitrust, and joint venture disputes throughout the United States. Over the past several years, Andy has been lead counsel in class actions involving pyramid schemes.
Prior to joining Sommers Schwartz, Andy was a member of a large Chicago-based law firm.
- Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri, JD
- University of Michigan, BA
- Illinois (inactive since 2009)
- Various U.S. District Courts
- U.S. Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
Areas of Practice
- $2 million jury verdict in U.S District Court in a case involving claims of misrepresentation, silent fraud, and corporate espionage.
- Successful international arbitration against a Chinese company in Hong Kong and subsequent collection of award.
- Appointed interim class counsel in an $80 million RICO matter in federal court; matter affirmed by en banc Fifth Circuit.
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
Mr. Kochanowski, I just wanted to briefly thank you for taking a few minutes after the Buam v. Umass trial last week to speak with the jurors. That was the first time I had been a juror, and it was an interesting experience. I was very impressed with you throughout the trial, and got the feeling that you really enjoy your career. Mr. Baum is a very intelligent man, and you couldn't have represented him any better.
- DBusiness Top Lawyers – 2014