Parker Stinar is an associate in Sommers Schwartz’s Birth Injury, Medical Malpractice, and Personal Injury Litigation Groups, appearing in both state and federal courts across the country on behalf of plaintiffs injured as a result of others’ negligence.
Parker has amassed a wealth of courtroom experience in a number of different areas, successfully representing clients in all stages of litigation from initial intake, through discovery, and at case evaluations, facilitation, and other alternative dispute resolution proceedings. He has negotiated settlements totaling millions of dollars.
When negotiation and out-of-court settlements haven’t been possible, Parker has tried cases before judges and juries alike, handling both first- and second-chair responsibilities, and obtaining numerous successful verdicts. In Michigan alone, he has litigated matters in more than 20 counties, and he has tried cases in eight different counties nationally.
Particularly adept at navigating complex medical issues to uncover acts of professional negligence, Parker routinely confers with medical experts to craft winning theories and arguments and call into question the testimony of defendants’ experts.
Parker has earned the respect of plaintiffs’ counsel and defense counsel alike, as evidenced by his recognition as a Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Star, an honor reserved for attorneys who are 40 years old or younger or who have practiced for ten years or less – fewer than 2.5% of lawyers in the state. Outside of the office, Parker is active in the State Bar of Michigan and Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association, and is a guest lecturer at Western Michigan University Cooley Law School.
- $3,000,000 medical malpractice verdict as first-chair trial counsel for a 72-year-old woman who died due to a narcotic overdose in a nursing home facility.
- $1,705,000 dollar verdict as trial counsel for a 54-year-old woman who suffered a cardiac arrest, brain damage, and death due to fluid overload following an abdominal surgery.
- $1,365,000 general negligence settlement for a man who was electrocuted by a downed power wire resulting in permanent nerve injury.
- $1,125,000 medical malpractice settlement for a 38-year old woman who died due to a delayed diagnosis of sepsis following a colon and rectal procedure.
- $800,000 medical malpractice settlement for a 77-year man who died due to the failed diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary embolisms.
- $686,772 verdict as trial counsel on behalf of a 59-year-old woman who underwent a cervical spine surgery in which the defendant neurosurgeon performed surgery on the wrong level of her spine, resulting in permanent loss of the use of her dominant hand.
- $500,000 medical malpractice settlement for a woman who suffered a preventable stroke due to her physicians’ failure to appreciate the risk of venous thromboembolic events caused on birth control.
- $400,000 medical malpractice settlement for a man who died due to his medical providers’ mismanagement of his anticoagulation medication.
- $400,000 medical malpractice settlement for a man who died of lung cancer due to his medical providers' failure to appreciate findings on chest CT scan and ensure appropriate medical monitoring and treatment
- $375,000 medical malpractice settlement for a woman who died due to her medical providers’ failure to monitor and ensure her assisted breathing device was properly placed.
- $350,000 medical malpractice settlement for a man who suffered optic nerve damage due to negligent positioning during a back surgery.
- $332,500 medical malpractice settlement for the death of a baby due to the delay of medical providers in performing an emergency C-section
- $300,000 medical malpractice settlement for a woman who suffered complications following a non-indicated colon and rectal procedure.
- $275,000 medical malpractice settlement for a woman who suffered a trachea injury during traumatic intubation resulting in permanent hoarseness.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Negligence Law Section
- Young Lawyers Section
- Michigan Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
- Birth Trauma Litigation Group
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Barristers Section
- Chair, Plaintiff Medical Malpractice Section
- Inn of Court, 2015-16
- Judicial Candidate Evaluation Committee, 2012 and 2016
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2015 to present
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly “Up & Coming Lawyers” – 2017
- “Technology and the Law – Presenting Your Story,” Detroit Bar Association Inn of Court, April 2017
- “Deposing Medical Experts in Personal Injury Cases – Using Hypotheticals, Metaphors, and Analogies,” American Association for Justice, January 2017
- “Expert Witnesses: From Selection to Presentation,” Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, 2016