Joe Bourgon serves as the firm’s Chief Executive Officer, overseeing the firm’s operations and stewarding its continued growth and profitability.
Under Joe’s guidance, Sommers Schwartz has maintained an outstanding reputation, earned over the course its more than 40-year-old history. At the same time, the firm has renewed its focus on litigation by strengthening the Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Litigation Groups, establishing a national presence and widespread notoriety for the Class Action and Unpaid Wages & Overtime practices, and adding locations in Detroit and San Diego, California (its first office outside of Michigan).
With a firm grasp of the “business of law,” Joe has streamlined various back-office functions, efforts that have positively impacted the bottom line and which allow the firm to explore new technologies and innovations.
Joe began his career in commercial banking before becoming a lawyer like the rest of his family. Before taking on his leadership role at Sommers Schwartz, Joe’s practice focused on complex business transactions. He represented lenders in all types of commercial loan transactions, from structuring and documenting complex loan originations to handling loan workouts and remedial actions, and also counseled real estate clients in purchase and sale transactions, loan agreements, leasing, construction, and property development, and advising borrowers regarding real estate loan transactions. This experience has contributed to his deft oversight and management of the firm.
- Michigan State University College of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1985
- University of Michigan, Bachelor of Business Administration, 1978
Areas of Practice
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law, Law Practice Management & Legal Administrators, and Real Property Sections
- American Bar Association
- Probate and Trust Law Section
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Licensed Michigan Real Estate Broker
- AV Preeminent Lawyer (Martindale Hubbell) – Peer Review Rating 5.0 out of 5.0