Sommers Schwartz is a powerhouse litigation firm that has recovered more than one billion dollars for our clients. When your future is on the line, our team will fight for you.

Clients say it best

I couldn’t have asked for better representation and counsel...

Attorney
Referrals

We can tackle some of the most complex matters in the litigation world.

Results

Year after year, our team delivers unmatched results for our clients.

Father John Joseph Keough Feeney served as a Roman Catholic priest in the Diocese of Providence for over four decades. He was ordained on January 22, 1928, and held assignments across multiple Rhode Island parishes before retiring in 1971. He died on November 10, 1974. Decades after his death, his name appeared in the Rhode Island Attorney General’s 2026 report on child sexual abuse in the Diocese of Providence, placing him among the clergy publicly identified as having faced allegations of sexual misconduct against minors. If you were harmed by Father Feeney or by any priest in the Diocese of Providence, you are not alone, and what happened to you was not your fault.

Table of Contents

What the Rhode Island Attorney General’s Report Says About Father Feeney

Father Feeney was named publicly as accused in the Rhode Island Attorney General’s report released on March 4, 2026. That report, the product of a nearly seven-year investigation led by Attorney General Peter Neronha, identified at least 315 victims and 72 credibly accused clergy within the Diocese of Providence.

Father Feeney was named publicly as accused in the March 4, 2026 Rhode Island Attorney General’s report. In 2004, the Diocese received a report that in 1965, Feeney sexually assaulted two teenage boys at a beach house in Narragansett. The beach house belonged to Father William O’Connell, who was later convicted of child sexual abuse.

The boys had been playing cards and drinking with the priests. Feeney allegedly rubbed up against one boy, and his accuser said he also saw Feeney penetrate another boy. These allegations describe a deeply troubling environment in which two adults in positions of religious authority used alcohol to create access to minors.

The Diocese did not receive this report until 2004, thirty years after Father Feeney’s death. That delay is not unusual. Survivors of clergy abuse often carry their experiences for decades before they feel safe enough to come forward. The passage of time does not diminish what happened. It does not mean the abuse was less real, less serious, or less deserving of accountability.

The Attorney General’s report also documented a broader pattern within the Diocese. For more than seven decades, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence concealed the sexual abuse of hundreds of children by over six dozen clergy members. A total of 72 deacons and priests faced credible accusations of abuse dating as far back as 1950. Father Feeney’s name appearing in that report places his alleged conduct within a much larger institutional failure, one that the state of Rhode Island is now actively working to address through new legislation.

Father Feeney’s Assignment History Across Rhode Island Parishes

Father Feeney served in Rhode Island parishes for more than four decades, giving him sustained access to Catholic communities and the families within them. Understanding his assignment history matters because it helps survivors identify the time periods and locations where abuse may have occurred.

According to the Rhode Island Attorney General’s credibly accused clergy records, Father Feeney’s assignment history included the following parishes and institutions:

  • St. Brendan Church, Riverside (1928–1929)
  • St. Bernard Church, North Kingstown (1929–1937)
  • St. Matthew Church, Cranston (1937–1941)
  • Sacred Heart Church, Woonsocket (1941–1943)
  • Mt. St. Francis Orphanage, Woonsocket (1941–1943)
  • St. Patrick Church, Cumberland (1943)
  • St. Augustin Church, Newport (1943–1951)
  • St. Joseph Church, North Scituate (1951–1971)

His assignment to Mt. St. Francis Orphanage in Woonsocket is particularly significant. Orphanages and residential care settings have historically placed children in close, unsupervised contact with clergy, creating conditions where abuse can occur and go unreported for years. Survivors from institutional settings like this one often faced additional barriers to disclosure, including fear of losing their housing or care.

Father Feeney served across urban, suburban, and rural Rhode Island communities. Whether you grew up attending one of these parishes or lived near them, you deserve to know that your experience has legal weight. A sexual abuse lawyer who understands the Diocese of Providence’s history can help you evaluate your options under Rhode Island law.

How Rhode Island’s New Child Sexual Abuse Law (H-7200A / S-2616A) Affects Survivors

Rhode Island’s new child sexual abuse law creates a meaningful opportunity for survivors whose claims were previously blocked by expired deadlines. On June 11, 2026, Rhode Island Governor Dan McKee signed legislation giving survivors of childhood sexual abuse a new opportunity to pursue civil claims that would otherwise be permanently closed.

The law amends the statute of limitations for claims of sexual abuse of a child and creates a two-year window for victims to bring otherwise time-barred claims against institutions and supervisors accused of enabling or covering up sexual abuse. The new law takes effect on July 1, 2026.

The new law establishes a two-year civil revival window that opens from July 1, 2026 to June 30, 2028. During this 24-month period, survivors can file civil suits even if the statute of limitations on their claims had previously expired.

This matters directly for survivors of Father Feeney’s alleged abuse. Because he died in 1974, no criminal prosecution is possible. But the new law targets something equally important: the institutions that may have known about abuse and failed to stop it. The Diocese of Providence, as the supervising institution over Father Feeney throughout his career, is the kind of entity this law is designed to hold accountable.

The revival window is temporary. All time-barred claims must be filed by June 30, 2028, or they may be forever barred. If you have been waiting, wondering whether it was too late, the answer right now is that a window is open. Speaking with a sexual assault lawyer now gives you the best chance to act within that window before it closes.

Why the Diocese of Providence Matters in a Civil Claim

Father Feeney did not operate in isolation. He served within a structured institution, the Diocese of Providence, that assigned him to parishes, oversaw his ministry, and received complaints about clergy conduct. The Attorney General’s 2026 report made clear that the Diocese’s response to abuse allegations was, in many cases, deeply inadequate.

The state’s investigation began in July 2019, when then-Bishop Thomas Tobin signed a memorandum of understanding with Attorney General Neronha to review diocesan records of complaints of child sexual abuse dating back to 1950. What investigators found was a pattern of concealment. Neronha said there was evidence that the Diocese had a practice of destroying confidential files when priests died.

The destruction of records is not just an administrative failure. It is a barrier to justice for survivors. When an institution actively eliminates documentation of abuse, it makes it harder for survivors to prove what happened and harder for courts to hold anyone accountable. Rhode Island’s new law was written with exactly this kind of institutional conduct in mind.

Under H-7200A / S-2616A, claims can now be brought against institutions and supervisors accused of enabling or covering up sexual abuse, not just against the individual perpetrator. For survivors of Father Feeney’s alleged abuse, this means the Diocese of Providence itself can be a named defendant in a civil claim, even though Father Feeney is deceased. The law is designed to reach the institutions that made the abuse possible and kept it hidden. An experienced sexual assault attorney can assess whether the Diocese’s conduct in your case supports such a claim.

You Have Rights, and the Time to Act Is Now

Survivors of clergy abuse often spend years, sometimes decades, processing what happened before they feel ready to take any legal steps. That experience is valid, and it is exactly why Rhode Island’s revival window was created. The law’s enactment came after the release of a report in March by Attorney General Peter Neronha accusing the Catholic Diocese of Providence of a “well-worn pattern” of failing to remove dozens of priests accused of child sexual abuse and keeping the abuse secret over decades.

The report gave many survivors confirmation that what they experienced was real, that others had been harmed too, and that the institution they once trusted had chosen to protect itself rather than protect them. None of that was your fault. The shame belongs to the institution and the individuals who abused their positions of trust.

Rhode Island has now joined about 28 other states that have either eliminated or amended their statutes of limitations for child victims of sex abuse. The passage of H-7200A / S-2616A reflects a statewide recognition that survivors deserve a real chance at civil justice, regardless of when the abuse occurred.

The attorneys at Sommers Schwartz represent survivors of clergy sexual abuse with compassion, discretion, and a clear understanding of Rhode Island law. We know that reaching out is not easy. We also know that the revival window closes on June 30, 2028, and that waiting could permanently eliminate your right to pursue a claim. If you were abused by Father Feeney or by any other priest in the Diocese of Providence, contact Sommers Schwartz today for a confidential, no-obligation consultation. You do not have to face this alone.

FAQs About Father Feeney and Rhode Island Clergy Abuse Claims

Can I still file a lawsuit against the Diocese of Providence if Father Feeney is deceased?

Yes. Rhode Island’s new law, H-7200A / S-2616A, signed by Governor Dan McKee on June 11, 2026, and effective July 1, 2026, allows survivors to bring civil claims against institutions and supervisors accused of enabling or covering up sexual abuse, even when the individual perpetrator has died. Father Feeney died in 1974, but the Diocese of Providence, as the institution that supervised and assigned him throughout his career, can be named as a defendant in a civil claim. The revival window for previously time-barred claims runs from July 1, 2026 through June 30, 2028.

What does it mean that Father Feeney was named in the Rhode Island Attorney General’s report?

The Rhode Island Attorney General’s March 4, 2026 report publicly identified Father Feeney as accused of child sexual abuse based on allegations received by the Diocese of Providence. Being named in the report means the Attorney General’s office determined there was a reasonable basis to believe the alleged conduct occurred. It does not constitute a criminal conviction, but it does carry significant weight and reflects the findings of a nearly seven-year state investigation. For survivors, the report can serve as supporting documentation in a civil claim.

What if I was abused at Mt. St. Francis Orphanage or another institution where Father Feeney served?

Survivors abused in institutional settings, including orphanages, are fully eligible to pursue civil claims under Rhode Island’s revival window. In fact, the new law specifically targets institutions that enabled or concealed abuse, making it particularly relevant for survivors who were in residential or supervised care settings where abuse may have been easier to hide. If you were harmed at any location where Father Feeney was assigned, including Mt. St. Francis Orphanage in Woonsocket, contact Sommers Schwartz to discuss your specific situation.

How long do I have to file a claim under Rhode Island’s new child sexual abuse law?

The two-year revival window created by H-7200A / S-2616A opens on July 1, 2026 and closes on June 30, 2028. All previously time-barred claims must be filed before that closing date or they may be permanently barred. For claims that are not time-barred, the law also amends the general statute of limitations for child sexual abuse going forward. Because every case is different and deadlines can vary based on individual circumstances, speaking with an attorney as soon as possible is the safest course of action.

Will I have to publicly identify myself if I file a lawsuit?

Not necessarily. Rhode Island courts allow survivors to file civil lawsuits under a pseudonym, such as Jane Doe or John Doe, in cases involving sexual abuse. This option exists specifically to protect survivors’ privacy and reduce the fear of public exposure that often prevents people from coming forward. At Sommers Schwartz, we take your privacy seriously and will discuss all available options with you during your initial consultation so you can make an informed decision about how to proceed.

More Resources About Clergy Abuse

A Trusted Authority

Our attorneys have been featured on local and national media outlets, including:

Sommers Schwartz has appeared in CNN, Today Show, ClickOnDetroit, NBC News, and ABC

A Client’s Praise for Dina Zalewski

My experience with Dina Zalewski and the Sommers Schwartz team was nothing short of incredible. The way that they showed genuine concern throughout this ordeal made me feel increasingly confident. I highly recommend Dina and her team for any of your legal pursuits.

Working with Tad Roumayah

I can’t say enough good things about working with Tad Roumayah. From our very first conversation, he was attentive, straightforward, and genuinely invested in getting the best outcome for my case. He took the time to explain everything clearly, answered my questions (even the ones I asked more than once)…

Praise for Alexis Amy and Tad Roumayah

I am very happy with the settlement Sommers Schwartz obtained for me in my age and disability discrimination case.Tad Roumayah and Alexis Amy explained every step of the process and answered all my questions along the way.I highly recommend this law firm!

I Cannot Say Enough Good Things About This Law Firm and My Attorney, Matthew G. Curtis.

I cannot say enough good things about this law firm and my attorney, Matthew G. Curtis. From the very beginning, their professionalism, communication, and attention to detail stood out immediately. They kept me informed throughout the entire process, answered my questions promptly, and always made me feel like a priority…

From a Wayne State Medical School Student About Judy Susskind

Law & Medicine was truly one of my favorite rotations – seeing a trial and learning from you was a privilege. Medical students are so lucky to have such an incredible preceptor for this experience. Your firm, colleagues, and clients are lucky to have you. (From a Wayne State University…

Praise for Tad Roumayah and Nathan Robbins

Tad Roumayah and Nathan Robbins are very professional and knowledgeable. They took charge from beginning to end with my employment case. I highly recommend them.

A Recommendation for Matthew Curtis and David Black

I highly recommend Matthew Curtis and David Black. They represented me in a legal malpractice case and did an outstanding job. They were very responsive, organized, efficient, and easy to work with throughout the entire process. What I appreciated most was that they were willing to take my case when…

Thank You, Jason Thompson

I just wanted to say thank you, Jason. The amount of work that you have done is astronomical, and it hasn’t gone unnoticed. We’ve always felt that you do what you say, take responsibility for your actions, even when you’re wrong, and that your word is your bond. (We found…

Our Clients Say It Best

Google Reviews
Over 200 5-star reviews on Google