Video Transcript: Examples of Medical Malpractice
Hello. My name is Kenneth Watkins. I’m a senior shareholder and litigator at Sommers Schwartz and have over 22 years’ experience handling medical malpractice and other personal injury cases. Medical malpractice occurs when a doctor nurse or other health care provider fails to act within the acceptable standard of care. That can include many different situations.
- For example, surgeons and anesthesiologists commit malpractice by negligently clearing a patient for surgery, performing procedures the patient did not consent to, or making mistakes that should not have occurred.
- Radiologists and oncologists may be liable for malpractice by failing to timely diagnose cancer.
- Hospital nurses and nursing home staff may be negligent when they fail to communicate with the attending physicians, fail to record important data in the patient chart, or fail to properly position a bedridden patient to avoid bedsores and ulcers.
- Primary care physicians can commit malpractice for prescription medication errors or failing to consult with specialists.
- And some of the most heart-wrenching medical malpractice cases involve birth trauma or birth injuries, when infants are permanently disfigured or die as a result of mistakes made by obstetricians and labor and delivery teams.
The bottom line is that when a health care professional fails to act within recognized standards of medical care and treatment, the patient can suffer grave harm or death. When wrongs like this occur, it’s time to call an experienced medical malpractice attorney to assess and investigate your case. Sommers Schwartz is a firm of expert litigators that get extraordinary results. If you, a family member, or loved one has been injured as a result of a health care professional’s negligence, please call us today to discuss your right to compensation.