A trial practice and extensive experience
Charles Ash is a senior shareholder at Sommers Schwartz, and represents clients in state and federal courts in personal injury and medical malpractice cases. He has an outstanding trial record, and has obtained a number of multiple million-dollar verdicts as well as negotiated hundreds of substantial settlements.
Upon graduating from college at Eastern Michigan University, Charlie worked as a teacher and coach, as well the chief negotiator for the MEA Local Teachers’ Union. These experiences rekindled his longstanding interest in becoming a lawyer. After attending law school locally at Detroit College of Law and passing the bar, he joined Sommers Schwartz and began advocating on behalf of the victims of serious accidents, birth trauma, medical malpractice, and other acts of negligence.
His passion for fighting for the underdog continues to this day as he helps his clients obtain compensation from major insurance companies and corporations that wrongfully caused their injuries. However, it is his trial practice and extensive experience that truly set him apart from his colleagues.
Aside from helping the injured get back on their feet, Charlie appreciates the fact that he gets to interact with different people every day. When not practicing law, Charlie enjoys traveling, fishing and spending time with his family in their Northern Michigan home. Grateful for the wrestling scholarship he received to attend Eastern Michigan University, he is a strong supporter of the school’s Foundation Fund and its efforts provide ongoing scholarship aide to today’s athletes.
- Spira/Clemons vs. Manufacturer: $4.5 million settlement in a product liability and wrongful death claim
- Asper vs. Municipality: $4.5 million settlement in an auto negligence case resulting in serious brain injury
- Brain Injured Boy vs. Hospitals/Doctors: $4.425 million settlement in a medical negligence claim
- John Doe vs. Defendant Hospital: $2.5 million settlement in a medical negligence case
- Knott vs. St. Joseph Hospital physicians: $1.5 million verdict in a medical negligence case
- Wright vs. Hospital: $1 million settlement in a medical negligence claim involving a child plaintiff
- Arndt vs. Hayes Green Beech Hospital: $3 million verdict in a birth Injury claim
- Dorton vs. Defendant Hospital: $1.1 million verdict in a medical negligence case involving a child who dies while in the care of emergency room staff
- Detroit College of Law, Juris Doctor
- Winner, Detroit College of Law, Freshman Oral Advocacy Competition
- Executive Director, Moot Court Program
- Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, Michigan Master of Art in Educational Administration
- Eastern Michigan University, Bachelors in Business Administration
- Captain (two years),Varsity Wrestling Team
- Eastern Michigan University, Secondary Certificate, Business Education
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals